Thursday, November 18, 2010

Edward Rutledge


I went to Mellow Mushroom's trivia night last night. What does this have to do with English 460, you ask? Well, one of the questions was "who was the youngest person to sign the Declaration of Independence, also a future governor of South Carolina?" and I got it: Edward Rutledge. I remembered it from some long past history course - my AP teacher would be proud.

He has many buildings named after him, not to mention one USC building on the Horseshoe. The family name is a very old-world historic South Carolina name, with a house/museum in Charleston and various businesses using the moniker.

That is probably why he comes to mind immediately when we are asked to come up with a community figure. I don't know how many of my peers even know who he is, probably none of them, and I have no idea what it says about my childhood that I do remember that minuscule detail, but there it is. It probably just means that I have a good head for random trivia.

Another local leader that comes to mind is Moultrie of the infamous Fort Moultrie in the Civil War, and... it would be utter nonsense to mention any current local leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment